Skip to main content

What People Need to Understand About Conservative (Baptist) Christian Families


Hey guys! I'm doing a post today because I'm gonna be busy all day tomorrow. 

I just want to add a disclaimer before I begin, this is just my experiences and is meant to be funny so no one freak out or get mad. Lol


Ok so I come from a conservative Christian family. I've always gone to church and was relatively sheltered. Now as I have gotten out into the real world I've realized just how sheltered I was. The things people say and do are utterly shocking to me.
What's more shocking is when I tell them things about myself and they think it's crazy how "well behaved" and "sheltered" I am.

I want to categorize levels of conservative Christian families into 3 categories. 
Level 1: This is where my parents are. You have a decent amount of freedom, can mostly watch, listen to, and do things you'd like. Still has rules and boundaries. They are still very against things like tattoos, drugs, or alcohol. Or wearing anything overly revealing. As you get older they loosen the rules a bit but will still let you know they don't approve of the outfit.

Level 2: This is about where I think my fiancé's family is. The rules get a little more strict. You can't watch and listen to certain things. Same with clothing, there are certain things you definitely can't wear. The rules still loosen a bit but you still need permission to go out and do things. At this level they are still happy to have someone raised in a level 1 join the family, although they might be seen as a tiny bit of a wild child.

Level 3: This is where I think my little cousins family is. They are very strict, can only listen to Christian music and pretty much on certain genres of it. Very restricted on what you can watch and definitely need permission for any activities. Clothing is very conservative. Even a level 3 loosens up a bit as the kid ages but not too very much. Dating a level 1 would probably not go over very well here. It may but it depends.

Now there are also sub level here where you can have a bit of both from different tiers, but I'm gonna stick to these as my examples.

Now people ask me things like "Why can't you just do this and not tell your parents?" Well sir/ma'am because 1. It's wrong and 2. Do you have any idea how much trouble I would get in if they found out?

Now do we ever do things and not mention them? Sure, but not usually how you're thinking, we might listen to a song we shouldn't or watch a show or movie we shouldn't but going somewhere or doing things like partying? No way. And if you were brave enough to try that you wouldn't need to tell your parents because you'd feel so guilty you couldn't enjoy it and would keep beating yourself up about it for weeks.

People wonder "why do you need permission, you're an adult?" Well I still live at home so therefor I still have to ask. Now based off your parents level and what you wanna do you might not need to ask, I don't have to ask to hang out with Andrew anymore, but his parents prefer he ask even though they let him anyways. For any "big" things I still ask like going to a concert, I'd still double check until Andrew and I move out.

Which brings me to my next one "You guys don't live together?" "You aren't gonna live together before you're married?" Very unikely. You don't understand how that would go over, it's not gonna be received well, there's gonna be fighting about it and lot's of disapproval, it just doesn't work that way.

"You don't drink?" "you're not aloud to drink, but you're 21!" No i'm not aloud to drink, I still live under my parents roof and they don't approve of it. Now can I legally go do it? Yes, but if I come home drunk or tipsy I'm gonna be in lots of trouble and I might not get grounded, but the disappointment is worse.

And that's another thing you should know, we'd rather get screamed at than see the look of disappointment from our parents, it's terrible and it sucks and besides how we were raised this is a big factor in us behaving so "well".

Now do we act perfect and agree with our parents on everything? No, and we likely will do some things differently when we get moved out but until then overall we are gonna listen relatively well, atleast on the big stuff.

There are so many of these but those are just a few. How are you guys families? Are they strict?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nyx Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick Review

Hey guys!! How was your week? Has school started back for you guys yet? My college recently started back so that's been interesting to balance with work. Today I thought I'd review the Nyx Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Kitten Heels.  I really really REALLY love this color and this lipstick in general.  This is my first ever liquid lipstick and I think it's awesome.  If you aren't familiar with liquid lipsticks,  they go on like a gloss, but dry like a matte or in  this case a cream lipstick. This one is gorgeous.  I'm actually really glad my boyfriend encouraged me to get this color (ok so I made him pick one... lol). This has pretty good lasting power to. It will need to be touched up after eating or drinking alot, but I feel like that's pretty normal for most lipsticks.  I would absolutely recommend this to you guys to try though,  it isn't too expensive and it's awesome. ^_^

Anxiety Sucks

Hey guys!! I know this is my traditional type of post,  but I really have been having trouble with this lately and I just needed somewhere to vent. Anxiety really really sucks you guys. I've always been the kind of person who will get nervous about new experiences,  I've never liked being in front of people on stage or for presentations.  Even small groups would scare me, but I've never experienced anxiety quite like this.  Ever since December my anxiety has been far worse than its ever been. I was on my way to college one morning like usual, listening to music, singing along and all of a sudden my heart started racing, I was having trouble breathing, my hands were tingling, I got a headache,  and felt dizzy. Against my better judgment I continued to drive to school and after about 30 minutes of class realized I couldn't handle it. I was afraid to try and drive since I was dizzy so I ended up having to call my parents to come pick me up. At the time...

The Drug Store Make Up Tag

1. What is your favorite drugstore makeup brand overall?   That's a really hard questions because I use a variety of brands, but I'd have to say either Maybelline or Covergirl is my favorite.  I'd probably have to go with Maybelline because I love their mascaras. 2. What are your favorite face, cheek and lip products? Hmm I think my favorite face product right now is probably the Maybelline Fit Me Foundation. I really don't have a favorite cheek product because I don't use blush. My fav lip product right now is probably the Hard Candy Fierce Effects Lip Gloss in Make Me Blush. 3.Least favourite product? There are not many products I dislike but I'm not a huge fan of the Maybelline Super Stay 14th lipsticks. I find it drying. 4.What is your best makeup bargain?   Basically any ELF product is an amazing deal. 5.What is your favourite underdog product? (something you love that often gets overlooked)   I'm not really sure I have a favorite that gets ...